LAWYER REFERRAL INFORMATION SERVICE The State Bar of Texas is committed to providing Texas lawyers with the tools and resources they need to be successful — especially during these trying economic times. Since 1972, the State Bar’s Lawyer Referral Information Service (LRIS) has helped the public find attorneys to represent them in a variety of legal matters. Each year, LRIS communicates with more than 70,000 members of the public who are searching for an attorney. “The Lawyer Referral Information Service is a great way for attorneys to build their practice and maintain a steady stream of business,” says Lisa Zvonek, director of LRIS. “Many of our members have told us how instrumental their participation in LRIS has been to the growth and success of their practice.” To help ensure that LRIS panel members receive proper referrals, LRIS carefully screens each call — only 45 percent of the callers qualify as a panel referral, while the other 55 percent are referred to legal aid, local referral programs, or other resources. Panel members agree to provide to all referral clients an initial consultation of 30 minutes for no more than $20. If the attorney and the client agree to continue with the case after the consultation, standard fees apply for the service provided. On any referral from LRIS that results in a case that generates attorney fees of $500 or more, 10 percent of the total fees are to be remitted back to LRIS. An annual membership fee of $125 applies to panel members. Sean Healy, a private practitioner in Tyler, has participated in the program on and off for the last few years. Participating in the program has been beneficial for his practice. “I participate in the program to gain clients and to make more money,” Healy says. “Overall, participating brings in more clients. I wouldn’t be on the LRIS list if I didn’t think it was worthwhile.” Referrals are made on rotation and based on the county or counties members indicate they serve and on the subject area(s) they engage in. LRIS works with panel members to customize their preferences so that they receive the best referrals possible. To join, you must be a member of the State Bar of Texas in good standing and carry professional liability insurance for a minimum of $100,000. For more information on how to become a member of LRIS, visit texasbar.com/LRISattorney, call (800) 204-2222, ext. 1720, or email email@example.com.
Published by State Bar of Texas. View All Articles.
This page can be found at http://mydigimag.rrd.com/article/Resources+for+Tough+Times/973400/100133/article.html.